Felis ISSN 2398-2950
Contributor(s): Karen Lawrence, Vetstream Ltd, Rosemary Fisher
- Naturally curly cat which originated from a natural mutation in a straight haired housecat found in an animal shelter in 1987 in the United States (dominant gene).
- Official breed recognition given in 1990 by some associations. Recognized as Miscellaneous Breed by CFA in 1992.
- Markedly different coat from the two Rex breeds that preceded it - the Cornish Rex Cornish Rex and the Devon Rex Devon Rex.
- Also come in longhair and shorthair unlike other Rex breeds.
- Known as "Cats in Sheep Clothing" due to their soft, thick coats with non-matting loose curls.
- Very patient, tolerant, easy going cats. Cuddly and playful, making excellent pets.
This article is available in full to registered subscribers
Sign up now to purchase a 30 day trial, or
Other sources of information
- Visit the Cat Fanciers' Association website to search for details of CFA Affiliated cat clubs -www.cfa.org.