Felis ISSN 2398-2950
Contributor(s): Vetstream Ltd
- Generally considered to be the only natural spotted breed of cat.
- Believed to descend from ancient Egyptian cats, the modern-day Egyptian Mau is a result of crossing Egyptian street cats with Italian domestic cats, during the 1950s.
- The Mau achieved breed recognition from the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) in 1977, and is also registered with TICA (The International Cat Association), but it remains little known beyond North America.
- The distinctive coat requires little maintenance.
- Agile and playful, yet affectionate and good with children, the Mau makes a good house cat.
This article is available in full to registered subscribers
Sign up now to purchase a 30 day trial, or
Other sources of information
- Visit the Cat Fanciers' Association website to search for details of CFA Affiliated cat clubs - www.cfa.org.
- Egyptian Mau Breed Council - www.egyptianmaubc.org.