Canis ISSN: 2398-2942
Contributor(s): Autumn P Davidson
- Pregnancy diagnosis and subsequent examinations are important because:
- Owners can sell puppies while they are still in utero.
- The fertility of a stud dog can be proven.
- Normal gestation and fetal health can be confirmed.
- Stud fees can be paid on the basis of a positive pregnancy diagnosis.
- Owner can prepare for the parturition.
- Single puppy syndrome can be confirmed and managed appropriately.
- Non-gravid females need not be treated unnecessarily to terminate pregnancy.
- Differentiate failure to conceive vs. resorption.
- Permits therapy as indicated or uterine irritability/pre-term labor in conjunction with tocodynamometry.
- Permit early evaluation for failure to conceive.
This article is available in full to registered subscribers
Sign up now to purchase a 30 day trial, or
- Recent references fromPubMed.
- Davidson A P & Baker T W (2009)Reproductive ultrasound of the bitch and queen. Top Companion Anim Med24(2), 55-63PubMedhttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1938973608001049
- Beccaglia M & Luvoni G C (2006)Comparison of the accuracy of two ultrasonographic measurements in predicting the parturition in the bitch. JSAP47, 670PubMed.
- Eilts B et al(2005)Factors affecting gestation duration in the bitch. Theriogenology64, 242PubMed.
- Luvoni G C & Grioni A (2000)Determination of gestational age in medium and small size bitches using ultrasonographic fetal measurements. JSAP41(7), 292-294.
- Eneroth A et al(1999)Radiographic pelvimetry for assessment of dystocia in bitches - a clinical study in two terrier breeds. JSAP40(6), 257-264.
- England G C W & Allen W E (1990)Sutdies on canine pregnancy using B-mode ultrasound - diagnosis of early pregnancy and the number of conceptuses. JSAP31, 321-323.
- England G C W & Allen W E (1990)Studies on canine pregnancy using B-mode ultrasound - development of the conceptus and determination of gestational age. JSAP31, 324-329.