Canis ISSN: 2398-2942 Honeysuckle poisoning Synonym(s): Lonicera Introduction Introduction Cause: English honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum) is the only species recognized to have any toxicity (low) Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp). It is claimed to be poisonous in large doses, having only a very mild action. Unlikely to cause poisoning in the dog as large quantites must be consumed to cause ill effects. It is used as a herbal remedy. Used for laxative, emetic, antispasmodic, astringent, diuretic, and expectorant properties. Diagnosis: history, clinical signs. Further ReadingPublicationsRefereed papers Recent references from PubMed and VetMedResource. Other sources of information Altmann H (1980) Poisonous Plants and Animals. Chatto and Windus. ISBN 0-7011-2526-8. (A small book, not very detailed.) Frohne D & Pfander J (1984) A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe. ISBN 0723408394. (Goes into technical detail in a very readable way. Has received a very good review.) Internet:A Modern Herbal Home Page http://220.127.116.11/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/Referenceshttp://www.axix-net.com/pfaf/refbooks.html. Organisation(s) ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control, telephone (888) 426-4435. Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS); www.vpisglobal.com, telephone + 44 (0) 2073 055 055.